Saturday, October 29, 2016

My Hero's Journey: Chapter 7

  In reviewing the principles of the 7 Habits, the last habit, number seven, really resonated with me.  Called, “Sharpen the saw”, this habit says that we shouldn’t get so caught up in the motion of sawing that we fail to realize we are using a blunt saw.  Take time to sharpen the saw in physical exercise, spiritual needs, the mental dimension, and the social/emotional dimension.

  The strength and truth of this habit is something I can personally testify of.  For example, I exercise on a regular basis, lifting weights three times a week.  According to this habit, however, I should be spending a minimum of 30 minutes a day exercising.  Just a few months ago, I didn’t understand how much better I’d feel if I exercised everyday, rather than every other day.  This past spring, when I went to school, I didn’t have car.  I walked everywhere.  My apartment was at the base of campus, so if I walked fast, I could be at the center of campus in approximately seven minutes.  

  Walking every day?, you may be thinking, sounds great, but did it make that much of a difference?  And the answer is a resounding yes.  The thing is, I walked to and from campus multiple times a day… up a steep hill.  The elevation, combined with my speed walking, lead to results I didn’t realize I can capable of.  My legs grew strong and muscled, aided by my regular workouts, and within three weeks, I was toned beyond recognition.  I truly experienced a paradigm shift of my own self image.  I was happy with myself beforehand, but this daily routine increased my existing confidence.  This satisfaction bled into other areas, such as the mental dimension, which also experienced a boost.  This is just one example of how living your life to the fullest in one dimension will affect the other dimensions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment