Saturday, October 22, 2016

My Hero's Journey: Chapter 6


  This week, we had the opportunity to read a few chapters from Mastery, by George Leonard.  The concept of Chapter 6, Practice, particularly stood out to me, because it focused on the “goalless journey” rather than the goal-driven way of life our society is focused on.  Masters don’t devote themselves to a task for the sake of getting better.  They throw themselves into their passion because they love to practice, and they improve as a secondary factor.  Personally, I resonate with this style of mastery.

  In my own life, I love to write.  I’m nearly finished with my first novel because I enjoy the process of practicing.  I’ve seen multiple pieces of writing advice that suggest writers get better by practicing a little everyday.  This style of writing focuses on accomplishing these small goals, and developing them into a regular habit to become a better writer.  While this isn’t bad advice, I never related to it.  Turning writing into a formula, so to speak, took the enjoyment out of practicing and discovering the path as I traveled it.  I abandoned that goal-driven, end-game mindset and focused on the art of practice, and as a result, I’ve improved without intending to.  I feel a lot more peaceful and relaxed in this sense.

  Writing is an obvious example of this phenomenon in my life, but I look forward to when my, as of yet, unawakened entrepreneurial spirit will experience this journey of mastery as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment